Friday, August 04, 2006

She says I'm a bad man

You know, there is a reason that I usually bow out of political arguments.

For one thing, I know that my knowledge of recent politics (in the last twenty years) is very little. I know that I don't know squat. I know what I hear, and since most of the time I like to stick my fingers in my ears and hum so that I don't hear it, I don't hear very much.

Lately I have been perusing wikipedia and I've been reading up on presidents. This was started because my little sister came to be with a sixth-grade take home workbook and asked me who the last five presidents were, and I couldn't answer. THAT scared me.

It seems to me that my lack of knowledge doesn't really bother me until it slaps me in the face, to which I go "Oh shit."

Another reason I don't get into political debates is because I'm afraid of ending up like this girl and loosing my mind.

I'm a very passionate person in many ways of life, but I'm very afraid that I'm still incredibly naive when it comes to hard facts. I want to be able to debate things back and forth, but I realize that I'm debating from fluff, from the history text books that I read four or five years ago when I was still in public school. I know nothing.

Still, at least I haven't completely given up on my quest for knowledge, so there is hope.

I do like to just keep on my hat and walk away right now, though, because I feel so young, so childish, when I am pulled into a political debate.

Why am I thinking about this anyway?

I happened to flip over to CNN today while I was watching my little sister and they were announcing some shmuck about the President's actions in the middle east and how the nation was divided on the issue. I turned to my sister and said, "For the very small amount of people that actually call in the poll, they think they have the entire nations opinion."

She asked me what the heck I was talking about and I explained a few things to her, but all the things I realized I really wanted to explain, about the foreign policies in the middle east and the Presidents actions regarding it... I couldn't remember. Or I never knew.

So now, suddenly, amidst everything else I'm worrying about, I'm worrying about the state of my intelligence. Again.

Still, I can't just put my hands up one day and say, "I've learned everything I need to know!" I keep getting arrogant and thinking that, and not realizing that I do have much more to learn, much farther to go, and that I am never going to just stop. I can't. There's TOO much knowledge out there.

Talk about a crisis of conscious. Or... what would this be defined as, anyway?

-Teigra

P.S.--My sister just lost a tooth. Give her a pat on the back.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and so this answers a question i had in my head the other day.
a friend of mine who is a fan of your blog asked me if i knew the last five presidents. i thought to myself...why is he asking me this? and now, thanks to reading your blog, i know the answer.
thank you for clearing that up.
:)

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home